Traveling to Chicago? Have I got the hostel for you!
Located in the vibrant neighborhood of Lincoln Park, Getaway Hostel offers a perfect location. It is far enough away from busy main streets to avoid much of the traffic sounds but close enough for walking convenience to the “El” trains and buses. Surrounded by beautiful townhouses, Getaway is a safe and secure option for the budget traveler as we all know Chicago isn’t cheap. It is a perfect place to stay especially if you are visiting a student at DePaul University as it is within a 10 minute walk.
Why Stay at Getaway Hostel
- The staff is overly helpful and friendly – big plus!
- The breakfast offerings are numerous. From hot options to continental style, the Getaway’s breakfast is grand. Oh, did I mention that it is free?
- Beds are comfy. The linen clean and stain-free. Something you expect but don’t always get at all hostels.
- There are private rooms and 4-12 bed dorms. Dorms have large lockers for each bed.
- Towels are free. Hello! And you get a fresh one every day set on your bed waiting for you when you get back every night. How often does that happen?
- Large clean restrooms with several showers, stalls and sinks.
- They gladly store your bags arrival and departure days while you wander the city.
- Lots of tables to set up that laptop with free wifi to stay in touch with the world.
- The staff has activities planned nightly.
- The kitchen set up is large and inviting for guests to store their food and cook meals.
- They have many vending machines with a wide variety of offerings for the occasional snack or drink craving without having to walk to a store.
- THE PATIO! Tons of chairs, lounges and tables to sit outside. Enjoy your morning cup of coffee or tea with breakfast in the sunshine.
During my stay the hostel was a little warm but Chicago was having unseasonably warm weather.
For a large hostel in the US, the prices are reasonable especially for all that is included. I stayed three nights at $30 per night. Not bad for a large US city.
Don’t feel like hopping on public transportation for a quick bite, no worries. There are restaurants galore on Clark, Fullerton, Halsted and Lincoln streets. Some of my favorite restaurants are within a longer walking distance such as Kuma’s Too, Pequod’s Pizza, Homeslice Pizza and Sweet Mandy B’s.
How to Get There
By bus: Take the 22 Clark bus north, exit at Arlington, and walk west. Or take the 74 Fullerton bus, exit at Fullerton and Halsted and walk east.
By L: Either the Brown or Red Line stop at Fullerton, walk east on Fullerton, turn left on N. Orchard and right on Arlington.
Keep in mind, Getaway Hostel offers several discounts if you stay longer. Check their website for current offers.
Awesomeness: the incredible spread at breakfast, outdoor patio with several chair options, toilet paper (strange I know but it’s really nice especially for a large hostel)
Needs Improvement: It would be awesome if bathrooms were closer to the rooms but that is not likely to change given the building set up. Otherwise nothing needs improved.
616 W. Arlington Place, Chicago